Getting to Block Island – Ferries & Private Vessel
The ferry options to Block Island are plentiful! If you need some assistance, kindly contact us and we can aide you.
Do I Need a Car?
If you are staying in or near Town, then you DO NOT NEED A CAR. We only recommend bringing a vehicle if you are renting a house or staying outside of Town. **Block Island is 7 miles long and 3 miles at the widest**
There is plenty of shopping, restaurants, and bars within walking distance of Town. The beach is also within a 5-minute walk. The wedding site is approximately 1-mile from Town, and we will provide transportation to/from the main hotels/Town to the wedding site.
- All ferries pull into the dock in Old Harbor (Town) unless you are arriving on the Montauk ferry, which arrives to New Harbor and is approximately a 5-minute taxi ride to Town.
- There are plenty of taxis available for island tours and general transportation around the island.
- You can also rent bikes and mopeds if you want to explore!
The only way to transport a vehicle to Block Island is on the Point Judith/Narragansett (Galilee) ferry. Advanced bookings are REQUIRED, and popular travel days usually book up by the end of January! The cost for a vehicle is $78 roundtrip. Details below.
There are ferry services out of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island. We encourage you to research the most convenient ferry location for you.
- All ports have long term parking available.
- Strongly recommended to reserve round trip ferry tickets in advance due to the holiday weekend.
- Reservations typically begin in January.
- The ferries run with military precision. (Jamie once waved goodbye to Justin from the ferry as it departed!)
- Plan to arrive with ample time (+2 hours) for local traffic, parking and a quick walk to the ferry. Parking lots fill up and you may need to circle the block a few times to get into one of the lots. Parking reservations are recommended!
The ferry from Galilee is the most popular ferry. Due to this fact it is strongly recommended that you book your ferry tickets in advance for both passenger and if needed vehicles reservations. Parking in Point Judith/Narragansett, RI (Galilee) is limited to private pay lots, and July 4th will be no exception. You can reserve parking at The Lighthouse Inn online, for $32/day, but all other lots are first come, first serve, $10-15/day. If you are day-tripping, reservations are highly recommended, so you won’t miss the boat.
- High Speed Ferry, 1 hour and 15-minute trip.
- Multiple sailings per day.
- Conveniently located off Interstate 95 in CT.
- Parking across the street in Water Street Garage.
- Take an Amtrak Northeast Regional to New London, CT station from as far south as Washington D.C. Or use the CT MTA Shoreline East train to New London station.
- High Speed Ferry, 2 hours and 15-minute trip.
- Only departs once per day.
- Located at the State Pier near Battleship Cove.
- Surface parking nearby.
- High Speed Ferry, 1-hour trip
- Only departs once a day
- You can take a LIRR train from NY Penn Station to Montauk Station, then a short Lyft/Uber/Taxi to the Viking Dock.
- Ferry arrives into New Harbor on Block Island, a 5-minute cab ride to Town.
- Traditional Ferry, 55-minute trip.
- High Speed Ferry, 30-minute trip.
- Multiple sailings per day.
- Only option for a day trip. (Ceremony & Reception Only)
- Only option for transporting your vehicle. Advanced reservations required. Book ASAP!
- Parking is extremely limited to private lots on July 4th. Prepare to arrive early or make reservations.
- 1-hour trip.
- Only departs twice per day.
- Parking garage and surface lot nearby.
Getting to Block Island - Private Vessel
If you are coming over on a private vessel you can take up a mooring or a slip at either New Harbor/Great Salt Pond, or Old Harbor/Town.
- Limited service marinas and fuel.
- Both options are FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.
- New Harbor is a short cab ride to Town, and to our wedding site.
New Harbor Boat Basin
Old Harbor Refuge/Dockage